The not so mini disaster

We had a neighborhood party in our court recently.

I decided to bring cupcakes and brownies.

And my daughter decided it would be helpful to surprise me and make them ahead of time–while I was upstairs getting ready.

Remember the mini-disaster I told you about when my kids baked cookies a couple weeks ago?

Well, this one was not-so-mini.

I came downstairs to find her working happily in the kitchen, three different bowls of ingredients going on at once, and five (FIVE) boxes of cake and brownie mix open.

baking ingredients
She even had the cupcakes ready to go in the oven…

cupcake ingredients
It was one of those moments where you walk in the room and it takes you a minute to realize what’s happening.

And once I did realize, I had to take be careful about my reaction. “What are you doing?” I asked, trying to sound…ahem…pleased.

“I’m helping you!” she said proudly.

Even though it took a while to clean the kitchen, and we had to throw one batch of brownies out (the one in the clear bowl in the first picture) because it had a tad too much water in it, the rest of the desserts turned out great.

And it’s the thought that counts, anyway.

Right? :)

40 Comments on The not so mini disaster

1. Michelle
    September 16, 2009 at 3:10 am (8 years ago)

You are a nicer mom than I am. :)

2. Buckeroomama
    September 16, 2009 at 3:48 am (8 years ago)

That was SO sweet of her! And kudos to you for not losing it. :) I know I would have.

3. Momstart
    September 16, 2009 at 5:18 am (8 years ago)

very cute and hard not to laugh, but karma is going to get me if I laugh. My daughter has a mind of her own

September 16, 2009 at 7:01 am (8 years ago)

What a sweetheart, and good for you mom for not losing it when you saw the mess!

5. dominique
    September 16, 2009 at 11:20 am (8 years ago)

That's so thoughtful of her..making cupcakes for you.

6. dominique
    September 16, 2009 at 11:21 am (8 years ago)

That's so thoughtful of her..making cupcakes for you.

7. Auntie E
    September 16, 2009 at 11:32 am (8 years ago)

I so have a hard time when my daughter is cooking, oh the mess, I haven't got it in her brain yet she must clean it. glad the cakes came out.

8. Sue
    September 16, 2009 at 12:36 pm (8 years ago)

I guess the good thing is that they WANT to help… I hated helping out in the kitchen when I was a kid. I had too many older siblings who helped so by the time the kitchen "cleared out", I was 16 and it was the LAST thing on my mind. Glad it worked out well this time :-D

9. blueviolet
    September 16, 2009 at 1:55 pm (8 years ago)

Your reaction was so calm and careful. I must say I'm impressed! You must still be overflowing with brownie goodness!

September 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm (8 years ago)

You are such a great mom! I probably would have been spastic!

11. Susie
    September 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm (8 years ago)

Oh no!! It's so great that she wanted to help:-)

September 16, 2009 at 4:40 pm (8 years ago)

I'm sitting here planning next week's meals with my 12-year-old son who is now homeschooling. Cooking is one of his favorite things to do. I can't wait until we get in the kitchen. We're studying the countries in the South Pacific…New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand.

13. Emily
    September 16, 2009 at 5:12 pm (8 years ago)

At least you arrived at the party prepared–well prepared! What a sweetheart!

14. Brenda
    September 16, 2009 at 6:25 pm (8 years ago)

Just keep encouraging that helpfulness, one day it will be wonderful!

15. Kirby3131
    September 16, 2009 at 6:57 pm (8 years ago)

Even today I can only make one thing at a time otherwise I add the eggs to the wrong mix or something. My mind kind of reels seeing your kitchen! So glad you kept your cool and that you had such an eager helper :)

16. JennyMac
    September 16, 2009 at 7:25 pm (8 years ago)

SO cute…and since our son is only 2.5, all that "help" is right around the corner for me. Right now, his help is always caught ahead of time. LOL.

17. Dakotapam
    September 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm (8 years ago)

Well, she was trying to help! I think you are a much more patient mom than I am! I was raised by a long line of yellers…I'm trying, praying, working on stopping!

18. Ronel Sidney
    September 16, 2009 at 7:55 pm (8 years ago)

I love my little helper but sometimes I just wish he would wait for me to help him…. *sigh*

19. Ali
    September 16, 2009 at 8:47 pm (8 years ago)

It sure was a sweet gesture though! Awww. My 9 year old girl is almost to the point where she wants to jump in and bake things herself. I don't look forward to the mess, but I do look forward to the independence.Blessings!

20. Sande
    September 16, 2009 at 9:01 pm (8 years ago)

The motivation for their actions is far more important isn't it?

21. Native American Momma
    September 16, 2009 at 9:51 pm (8 years ago)

aww at least you were not the one that had to eat them all LOL just kidding that is so cute. I'd be the same way

22. Stacy (the Random Cool Chick)
    September 16, 2009 at 10:17 pm (8 years ago)

WOW! She's an even better multitasker than I am! :) I admire how calm, cool and collected you were…I don't think I would have been… ;)Happy WW! :)

September 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm (8 years ago)

Now that IS a big help. On a large scale. :)

24. Staci
    September 17, 2009 at 12:06 am (8 years ago)

How sweet! (Even if it didn't turn out perfectly.)

25. Honey Mommy
    September 17, 2009 at 12:51 am (8 years ago)

Oh my! It sounds like you handled that rather well!

26. Petula
    September 17, 2009 at 3:10 am (8 years ago)

Yes, well I guess it is the thought that counts. I'm glad that it was only one batch that had to be disposed of. Very good, mom, with keeping your composure. :)

27. Jamie
    September 17, 2009 at 6:38 am (8 years ago)

How sweet of her to want to help. I suppose cleaning up the mess is worth it!

28. Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting
    September 17, 2009 at 6:41 pm (8 years ago)

That's ridiculously adorable. You're a good momma for not losing your marbles. I might have gone postal, just because our kitchen is small and incredibly difficult to clean. How'd they taste?? :)

September 17, 2009 at 7:51 pm (8 years ago)

♥ What a sweetie! I would have had to check my reaction too! :)

30. Diane
    September 18, 2009 at 12:33 am (8 years ago)

What a sweet daughter! P.S. "thou must not stock up on so many boxes of cake mixes at once…" :)Another p.s.: it almost looks like you have an identical kitchen countertop to mine. Quartz?

September 18, 2009 at 1:04 am (8 years ago)

Oh my goodness!!! You are SO MUCH stronger then me.. I would have FLIPPED OUT!!! LIke I needed ONE MORE Thing to clean!But you handeled it the RIGHT way!!Plus. Your kids are so dang cute. Its hard to not smile at those mugs huh?God bless!!!Amanda

32. Melissa B.
    September 18, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Awwwwww…Mommy's Little Helper! I love moments like these, even if they do end up a bit messy…

33. An Ordinary Mom
    September 18, 2009 at 4:43 am (8 years ago)

"And once I did realize, I had to take be careful about my reaction. 'What are you doing?' I asked, trying to sound…ahem…pleased."I am trying to be more patient and less reactive to my children, too. Love her willingness to help :) !!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The not so mini disaster