Genny Heikka, MBA, is an author, speaker and passionate coach to women and organizations. Certified in Emotional Intelligence and EQ-i 360, Genny has been helping women reach their full potential for over 17 years and has served in a variety of leadership roles within corporate, non-profit and ministry organizations.
As the Founder of Her Team Success, LLC, she coaches women and teams to help them gain more clarity and confidence, stand out as their best self, achieve greater success, and overcome things that hold them back. She loves apply her years of experience in communications, marketing, branding and women’s leadership to help her clients excel and thrive. She’s a co-founder of LIFT: Live Inspired, Fearless, Thriving, which hosts events and workshops that help women gather in community and live inspired, full lives.
Genny began her career at Hewlett-Packard then stepped into her dream of becoming an author, writing several books. She’s served as the Director of Communications for an international non-profit that fights human trafficking and taught business courses as Adjunct Faculty, where she loved working with students and emerging leaders.
A vetted member of the ICF (International Coaching Federation) High Country Chapter, Genny has appeared on radio and TV and has been published in multiple publications. She and her husband Mike have two grown children and live in beautiful Boise, Idaho, where they love spending time outdoors and being involved in their Treasure Valley community.
Okay, now that we’ve gotten the formal bio out of the way, you can read 17 Things About Me.
17 THINGS ABOUT ME (THE EVERYDAY STUFF)
1. I love coffee.
2. One of my greatest thrills is seeing women overcome their fears and reach their full potential. We all have unique strengths and gifts, and there’s nothing like stepping bravely into your passion (even if your knees are knocking!). When you do, you realize it’s not about you anyway; it’s about what you have to give to others.
3. My husband Mike and I were high school sweethearts and I’m still madly in love with him!
4. About six years ago, we moved with our two teenagers from California to Idaho (my husband’s job got transferred). What started out as a journey filled with unknowns and what ifs turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to us.
6. My husband and I recently became empty nesters! We have a daughter who just graduated from college nearby (go Broncos!), and a son in another state. And even though we’re enjoying this fun, new season of life, I really do miss those kiddos!
7. My favorite seasons are spring and fall because I love (LOVE) change.
8. I also love helping women explore life’s tough questions. A few years ago, I got a certificate in Apologetics; I’m passionate about exploring deep conversations with others from all walks of life, all backgrounds, and all beliefs. I think we learn more from each other when we are different from one another – and we have much more common ground than we think.
9. I’m a certified volunteer for Courage Worldwide, a non-profit that helps rescue girls who have been victims of trafficking. Back in California, I was the Director of Communications for this amazing organization and that time of my life really fueled my desire to help empower and encourage women.
10. My least favorite thing? Heights. (I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I fell down a steep cliff over whitewater when I was a little girl. It all ended up fine, but still. Heights just aren’t my thing.)
11. We’ve had our share of pets over the years. A lot of them. My son has a gift with animals… so we’ve had a dog, a cat, two birds, a hermit crab, and a ton of fish (by last count, we were up to four fish tanks). I always used to say when we went on vacation that it cost us more to cover pet sitting than it did to travel, and I wasn’t kidding. Our most recent furry family member is our Goldendoodle Winston. (He’s adorable.)
12. Understanding God’s unconditional love and His free gift of grace totally changed my life decades ago… and freed me up to fully live my purpose.
13. I’ve never played sports. Instead, I grew up dancing–ballet, tap, and jazz, all the way through college. I still catch an occasional Zumba class at the gym when I can.
14. I love coffee!
15. I love my family. Really – these are my favorite people and I love hanging out with them. Here’s a recent shot of us!
16. I use to write children’s books. I started out writing board books, then picture books, then transitioned to mom-blogging – and then wrote a parenting book for moms. My journey of pursuing my dream of becoming an author is one of the reasons I’m so passionate about helping women pursue their dreams, too.
17. I love coffee! :)