The truly wonderful birthday dinner (minus a few mishaps)

The birthday dinner for my mother-in-law on Saturday was really fun. I had a great time decorating the tables…

beautiful table decorations

pretty candle
and it was so nice to have Mike’s family over.

Everything went wonderfully, minus a few complications…

Like the fact that my daughter fell playing capture-the-flag the night before and broke her wrist. At least I could tell her I know how she feels, poor thing. (We spent most of Saturday morning at the doctor’s office getting x-rays, etc., so I ended up calling everyone and asking them to come over a little later than we’d originally planned for the dinner.)

blue cast broken arm
And like the fact that the BBQ ran out of gas in the middle of cooking the steaks. (We didn’t have a backup tank, either.)
It started to rain while we were eating, too (which was not in the forecast) and we had to move everything inside.

But…

In spite of all that, we had a great time.
And at the end of the night, we had a good laugh at all our mishaps.

Because when you’re with family, things can go wrong and it doesn’t matter.

What really matters is being together. :)

For more “Wordful” or “Wordless” Wednesday photos, stop by Angie’s Seven Clown Circus or 5MinutesforMom.

Talk soon,

23 Comments on The truly wonderful birthday dinner (minus a few mishaps)

1. MahoneyMusings
    October 7, 2009 at 2:11 am (8 years ago)

It's funny how the special occasions that have 'mishaps' are always the ones we remember with most fondly. Speedy recovery for your daughter!

2. MahoneyMusings
    October 7, 2009 at 2:14 am (8 years ago)

….remember most fondly…It's been a long day.

3. Pajama Mama
    October 7, 2009 at 2:55 am (8 years ago)

Everything looks so beautiful! I'm glad to hear that it turned out to be such a special evening, despite a few mishaps…and you are right, it's not how perfect everything went it's that everything was perfect because you were with the ones you love.Hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

4. Muthering Heights
    October 7, 2009 at 3:24 am (8 years ago)

What a lovely table!I hope her arm heals quickly!

5. Sande
    October 7, 2009 at 4:13 am (8 years ago)

Stories are so much better when they are messy aren't they?Blogger and nanna fodder really.

October 7, 2009 at 7:06 am (8 years ago)

Poor kid, I too know just how that feels. At least kids heal quickly, this will all be a memory for her soon.And speaking of memories, I bet this is one birthday your mother-in-law never forgets :-).

7. blueviolet
    October 7, 2009 at 10:26 am (8 years ago)

So sorry about your daughter! You made a beautiful table arrangement though!

8. Jessica
    October 7, 2009 at 10:48 am (8 years ago)

Absolutely right! :-) I'm sorry about your daughter. That stinks.Your table looked amazing! Beautiful job.

October 7, 2009 at 12:05 pm (8 years ago)

It looks beatiful. And those mishaps…..glad you were able to work through them……your daughters poor wrist. We haven't had any broken bones here. Yet. :)

10. Janel@Dandelion Dayz
    October 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm (8 years ago)

So true!I am so sorry for your daughter's broken wrist – poor thing. I hope she is feeling better.Beautiful table!

11. Momisodes
    October 7, 2009 at 3:06 pm (8 years ago)

What a gorgeous table you have. Leave it to you to take it all in stride on such a hectic weekend. Glad to hear everyone had a great time. So sorry to hear about your daughter's wrist though. Hope it heals quickly.

12. Tiaras
    October 7, 2009 at 4:29 pm (8 years ago)

your table looks beautiful

13. Michelle
    October 7, 2009 at 4:42 pm (8 years ago)

Great table scape!The rest of the day kind of went down hill, but you are right….family and being together is what is important.I hope you daughters wrist heals quickly.

14. Kristen@nosmallthing
    October 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm (8 years ago)

Oh, poor thing! And I love that you are laughing about the mishaps. Sometimes the events that have the most mishaps are the ones in which we have the most fun.Oh, and the table–SO pretty! Happy WW!

15. Brenda
    October 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm (8 years ago)

Sorry to hear about your daughter but thats a pretty BD table

October 7, 2009 at 9:16 pm (8 years ago)

Love the table!! And sorry about your daughter and all of the other mishaps.

17. Pam
    October 8, 2009 at 1:23 am (8 years ago)

Awww! Your poor daughter. My son broke both the bones in his arm a couple of months ago, so I can sympathize.

18. Mama Plays Mozart
    October 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm (8 years ago)

What gorgeous place settings -looks like it was a fabulous dinner!

19. Warren Baldwin
    October 10, 2009 at 6:43 am (8 years ago)

I'm sorry for your daughter! Tell her my daughter broke her wrist bowling a few years ago and two years ago broke two bones in her hand playing her first game of high school basketball. But, she came back and finished the season!Hope she heals quickly.

October 12, 2009 at 2:44 am (8 years ago)

the table looks beautiful, your poor daughter that is a bummer!

21. Honey Mommy
    October 12, 2009 at 3:07 am (8 years ago)

Wow. Too bad about all the mishaps! But your table settings look lovely!