An Easy Way to Make Cookies Healthier

By Genny

I’ve mentioned before that I love to bake. In fact, you can usually find a fresh batch of cookies or brownies around our house at all times.

We love sweets.

But that’s okay.

Because, a while ago, I tried something with my cookie recipe that really works.

I use 1/2 cup of butter instead of one,

egg whites instead of whole eggs,

rice flour instead of white flour,

1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips instead of two,

and all organic ingredients.

Even though the cookies are healthier (less fat, less cholesterol, less sugar, and the rice flour is gluten-free), they taste great. The texture is a little different because of the rice flour, but even my kids love them and believe me, they can be picky eaters.

I could be biased, but I don’t think you can even tell that the cookies are “healthy”…

And since I just baked some, I thought I’d join Kristen in What Works for Me Wednesday and share the recipe, because these cookies really work for my family.
In fact, I baked three sheets of them Monday night and now there are only eight cookies left.
Oh, wait.
Maybe eating the whole batch in two days cancels out the fact that they are healthier.
(At least I’m pretty sure you’ll like them!)

(Healthier) Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

*whip these ingredients together in your mixer until creamy then add:

1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups rice flour
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Spoon dough on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 6-7 minutes.

Give them a try. They even satisfy chocolate cravings. :)

Quick note: If you haven’t entered my giveaway from Monday, there’s still time! Click hereor scroll down to the post before this for details.

29 Comments on An Easy Way to Make Cookies Healthier

1. Sande
    July 22, 2009 at 4:40 am (5 years ago)

Healthier is always good. I have to remember not to justify eating a whole mess of them though just cus they are better for me :}Our rule of thumb health policy is … "we don't buy junkfood; just eat everyone else's" ps..how much is a stick in grams …. of butter that is.

July 22, 2009 at 5:10 am (5 years ago)

Sande,A stick of butter is 113 grams or 1/2 cup. I'm glad you caught that. I went back and modified my recipe to say 1/2 cup instead of "one stick"…lol!Thanks!Genny

July 22, 2009 at 6:03 am (5 years ago)

I love baking and cooking too…always with my 2-year-old by my side. Lately, we've been making chocolate chip mini muffins and peanut butter balls a lot. :)

4. Jessica
    July 22, 2009 at 11:05 am (5 years ago)

Yum! I'm not the best cook or baker in the world, but I can do choc. chip cookies. Interesting recipe. I might have to try it…

5. Erin Bassett
    July 22, 2009 at 4:08 pm (5 years ago)

Wow, I'm gonna have to try that recipe out! They DO look just like regular cookies! Thanks so much for posting this. :DBTW, found you through SITS!

6. Amy
    July 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm (5 years ago)

Genny, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I am so excited to try these cookies they look delicious! Another way my mother makes cookies healthier is ommitting the butter or oil completely and using applesauce instead. It makes them very moist and you can't even tell the difference! Yay! You have just given me even more excuse to eat cookies! Thank you!

7. Rachel R.
    July 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm (5 years ago)

Hahaha. I love that comment about eating the whole batch. That's why I almost never bake cookies – because I will eat them ALL in one afternoon! (Chocolate chip cookies are my very favorite!) We use freshly-ground whole wheat flour in ours. I've not figured out how to do anything different with the sugar, though, without totally ruining the texture.

8. Kristin
    July 22, 2009 at 5:29 pm (5 years ago)

Sounds good! I'll have to bring the kids into the kitchen and have them help me whip these up…

9. Sarah Brown
    July 22, 2009 at 6:15 pm (5 years ago)

That sounds great I will have to try them!Thanks for stopping by today and hello back to you from SITS

July 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm (5 years ago)

I'll toss this recipe on over to my daughter who loves to make cookies. About that healthy part…way to go Genny!

11. Theta Mom
    July 22, 2009 at 6:46 pm (5 years ago)

I hate to cook, but LOVE to bake and I never thought of using rice flour instead of white flour. My son is a REALLY picky eater, (which I should blog about at some point) but this sounds like it's worth a try!

12. Yankee Girl
    July 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm (5 years ago)

Stopping by from SITS!I love to bake as well and have recently turned all of my baking recipes into vegan baking recipes. I think it is so amazing that something that tastes so delicious and naughty can be so good for you…or at least not nearly as bad! Thanks for the recipe!

13. Lora
    July 22, 2009 at 8:06 pm (5 years ago)

Uh…yummy!Visiting you from SITS today–have a great one!

14. Multiple personalities..
    July 22, 2009 at 8:17 pm (5 years ago)

A way to indulge in chocolate chip cookies AND keep the calories and bad fat at bay? Talk about awesome! I'm embarked on what I call a "lifestyle change", and this recipe will help me on those days when all I want is yummy sweets. Thanks so much for sharing these!

15. Jen
    July 23, 2009 at 2:31 am (5 years ago)

What a wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing that! Visiting you from a SITS link!!!

16. Georgina
    July 23, 2009 at 2:52 am (5 years ago)

I'm totally going to try making these this weekend! Glad I stopped by!

17. Theta Mom
    July 23, 2009 at 10:14 am (5 years ago)

I know I've already responded to this post, but I wanted to let you know that I really like your blog and I've given you an award! Come by http://www.thetamom.com to collect. :)

18. confused homemaker
    July 23, 2009 at 8:40 pm (5 years ago)

Now I want cookies, they look so good. Thanks for sharing.

19. Chrissy
    July 23, 2009 at 10:04 pm (5 years ago)

Hi, Geny! I couldn't possibly compile a list of lovely blogs without featuring your beautiful blog. In celebration of all things lovely, would you consider stopping by sometime to accept an award from me?

20. Buzzings of a Queen Bee!
    July 23, 2009 at 10:09 pm (5 years ago)

Oh, yummy!! You know what I just found? A brownie mix that you just add nonfat yogurt to and voila, instant and (somewhat) healthy brownies! They are called "No Pudge" (yes, that's the name!) and while they are not as good as homemade, they satisfy the sweet tooth very nicely! :)Carrie

21. Warren Baldwin
    July 24, 2009 at 4:42 am (5 years ago)

If you need to get rid of some of the chocolate chip cookies, I can send you and address to send them to. I'll even cover postage!

22. The Daily Dose
    July 24, 2009 at 3:20 pm (5 years ago)

I love healthy versions of very unhealthy stuff! Whole wheat brownies are my fav. Who woulda thought they'd be so good?

July 25, 2009 at 3:38 am (5 years ago)

♥ Sounds good! At least I wouldn't feel as guilty eating one! :)

24. Jamie
    July 25, 2009 at 6:22 am (5 years ago)

I am definitely going to try these! We have been looking for recipes using rice flour, due to my daughter's allergies, and this recipe fits the bill perfectly.

25. Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship
    July 28, 2009 at 4:52 am (5 years ago)

Is rice flour whole grain? I like using whole wheat flours (or whole spelt, etc) in my baking and am experimenting a lot lately. I'm amazed that cutting out half the fat worked out – usually you can't mess with that so much. glad it worked for you!

July 28, 2009 at 4:42 pm (5 years ago)

Katie,The rice flour I use for these is Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground White Rice Flour, but I believe you can get whole-grain wheat rice flour. :)Hope that helps!Genny