A Whole Bunch of Firsts…

It’s been a while.

I’ve missed being here.

When I decided to take a break from blogging, I had no idea how long I’d be “away”. I needed to revise my young-adult novel, and sometimes revisions are quick.

But sometimes they’re not.

This time they weren’t.

Partly because, in addition to working on my novel and other writing projects, I was inspired to write a non-fiction book for moms. One thing led to another, and the next thing I knew, I had a 163 page manuscript that I’m now polishing.

But life is funny that way sometimes—you plan on doing one thing, and another thing happens that sort of changes your plan.

Which is kind of how my summer’s been so far.

I’d planned on kicking it off swimming with the kids, seeing friends, and going on a few short trips.

Instead, I’ve started it off in a wheelchair.

In two separate, random falls (I still can’t believe it), I broke my arm and tore my knee.

All in the course of one week.

And all when my husband had to travel to India on business for ten days.

I’ve had a whole bunch of firsts lately…

My first broken bone.

My first set of crutches (that I ended up not being able to use because of my arm).

My first wheelchair (that I ended up getting because I couldn’t use the crutches. And which our cat seems to like.)

And my first ride in one of those electric scooters at Target.

It’s been a learning experience, too…

I’ve learned how to blow dry my hair and put my makeup on with my left hand (I’m still having mascara issues).

I’ve learned how to go up and down the stairs using one arm and one leg.

I’ve learned how to type with my cast on.

And—maybe the hardest part for me—I’ve learned how to accept help from others, because I’ve needed it.

I know what I’ve been going through is small compared to what some people endure.

Tiny, even.

I’ll be honest, though—as someone who usually runs around at full speed and is very independent—it’s been hard having life come to a sudden halt.

But it’s been one of those blessings-in-disguise, too.

I’ve had family and friends staying with me and helping, which has given us some great time together. And I’ve had more time with my kids, too.

And even though I’ve had my share of melt-downs and tears, I’ve also had some good laughs. Mostly at myself. Like when I wiped a dot of mustard off my plate with a finger on my right hand, went to lick my finger, and realized I couldn’t get it to my mouth because of my cast.

A lot has happened on my little break from blogging…

Spot and Blackberry—the mice that brought us so many adventures—died not too long ago, within a few days of each other. It was hard on the kids, but they felt better after the funeral, complete with music and eulogies and a lavish burial.

I’ve also been fortunate enough to be able to write for some great sites, like PluggedinParents and MothersClick. And I was asked to participate on a conference call with Maria Shriver about her WeConnect campaign in California. She’s an inspiring woman with a true passion for what she does, and I was honored to write an online exclusive about her campaign. I put together my Web site too, which has some writing resources and links to check out if you’re interested.

But I’m rambling.

I guess I’m just glad to be back.

I don’t know what my posting schedule will be yet. It depends on a lot of things, like if I end up having knee surgery or not.

But I’ll be around.

And I hope you will too. I’m looking forward to doing some fun things around here. :)

Talk soon,

42 Comments on A Whole Bunch of Firsts…

June 18, 2009 at 5:10 am (8 years ago)

♥ I'm glad you're back! I feel for you on the falling thing. I stepped off a curb and broke my leg. it's amazing how fast those things can happen! I'm glad you're feeling better! :)

June 18, 2009 at 6:16 am (8 years ago)

Goodness, when you come back you sure do so with a bang – an arm AND a leg? Yikes. I've done both, but never together. I'm glad you've got a good strong support system in place and are keeping your chin up.It's good to see you again my friend, I hope you stick around for a while :).

3. The White House
    June 18, 2009 at 3:06 pm (8 years ago)

We missed you and are glad to see you back. Hope you get healed up soon!

4. Dakotapam
    June 18, 2009 at 3:12 pm (8 years ago)

Welcome back! You've had your hands full!

5. Andrea
    June 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm (8 years ago)

I'm so glad you are back!

6. Monkey's Momma
    June 18, 2009 at 3:32 pm (8 years ago)

Glad to have you back! I missed you!

June 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm (8 years ago)

Glad you are back! Missed you! I can't believe all of the first's either. And here I thought only those things happen to me. Glad to know I'm not alone! Have a great day!!!

8. Kelly
    June 18, 2009 at 4:06 pm (8 years ago)

oh yay, Genny…you're back!!! welcome!!! on the other had…oh, sad, Genny…you're injured! i'm so sorry for your recent falls. i hope you are better sooner than later. sounds like you are trying your best to see the silver lining in these tough times. i can't wait to hear more about your new books and check out your site!i'm glad you are back!!!!

9. Ronel Sidney
    June 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm (8 years ago)

I am glad you are back!! I hope you heal soon, I too have found my self needing help due to an emergency surgery last week to get my gallbladder out… it has been an interesting learning experience for me to say the least. Very hard to get around and I hate being at the mercy of others… yet it has showed me a lot, too. Blessings,

10. heather
    June 18, 2009 at 4:59 pm (8 years ago)

YAY!! You're back! I've thought about you, and wondered how your novel was coming along. :)AND what a rough week. :( I love how you just put a happy face on it, and look for everything humorous about the situation. Thanks for the example. I will now stop pouting about the little inconvenience I have to do tonight. THANKS!!

11. Kate
    June 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm (8 years ago)

WELCOME BACK dearie!!! So sorry for your physical calamities, hope you will be on the mend SOON!! :D Congrats on all the writing wonderfulness going on…can't wait to hear all about it when it's complete!! Thanks for popping by and saying HI!! :)

12. Irritable Mother
    June 18, 2009 at 8:04 pm (8 years ago)

Genny, it's great to hear from you again!And, wow! You have had a bunch of firsts. Hopefully also some lasts – like the last time you have to utilize a wheel chair and those cool scooter things for shopping.I totally know what you mean about being on the receiving end of help. It's a lot more comfortable to be the one helping. Been there! But I think it is wonderful that you have eyes to see and a heart to understand the lessons God has for you in the midst of it all.May His peace rest upon you today.Loving Jesus,Karen

13. The Dishes Will Wait
    June 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm (8 years ago)

I'm so very happy you're back! I hope you heal quickly. Can't wait to check out your website!

14. miruspeg
    June 18, 2009 at 11:42 pm (8 years ago)

My goodness Genny alot has happened since your last post in November.It is wonderful to see you back blogging again and I see you have given us alot of links to catch up on.It is lovely to read you haven't let these setback wipe the smile from your face or see life in a positive way.Big hugsPeggy

June 19, 2009 at 12:25 am (8 years ago)

Oh Genny!! You really like to make an entrance don't you?! :)I will pray that your recovery is a quick one. All of your writing and projects sound very exciting!Welcome back!

16. Joyful
    June 19, 2009 at 1:27 am (8 years ago)

Oh Genny, so nice to see you back! I was thinking of you just yesterday and was going to send you a message…and here you are!!!Hope you are healing well – what a turn of unfortunate events. Praying for your recovery.Blessings,Joy

17. Halfmoon Girl
    June 19, 2009 at 1:52 am (8 years ago)

wow, that is something- to break your arm and leg! Glad you still have your sense of humour intact though! You have had some exciting moments of your blogging break! Hope you heal quickly.

June 19, 2009 at 2:06 am (8 years ago)

WOW!!! Thats even almost too much to comment on!!I hope you heal 100% asap!Congrats on being published all over the place!God bless-Amanda

19. Angela
    June 19, 2009 at 2:08 am (8 years ago)

So glad you are back (now I am a sporadic blogger of sorts). :-)I'm so sorry to read about your injuries…sounds painful and not fun, although you do look darling in that scooter. :-)Blessings to you!Angela

June 19, 2009 at 4:31 am (8 years ago)

I am THRILLED to see you back.

21. care-in
    June 19, 2009 at 11:58 am (8 years ago)

Glad you're back but sorry your summer has been "off". It's amazing I haven't broken a bone yet considering how many times I ram my foot/feet into things. Take it easy!!

22. Stonefox
    June 19, 2009 at 12:02 pm (8 years ago)

Welcome back, Genny!! Wow, you have really had some "adventures!" You sound so positive about it all, but man, it had to be hard with your husband in India. Congrats on your book- can't wait to hear more!

23. Christy
    June 19, 2009 at 12:34 pm (8 years ago)

Genny,What a sweet surprise to see you comment on my blog! I am so glad you are back… your posts have been missed!Are you going to tell us more about the book you've written for moms? I'm sorry to hear about your fall and hope that healing takes place quickly!

24. Nicole
    June 19, 2009 at 4:41 pm (8 years ago)

My gracious! When it rains it pours, doesnt it? It reminds me of our Christmas last year with two arm surgeries within 6 days of Christmas! Good for you for accepting help. Hope you heal quickly!

25. Ginger
    June 19, 2009 at 7:28 pm (8 years ago)

Yes, and so goes my first visits to your blog. Stop by and share another cup when you have time to relax. Love your blog and your pic!

26. Momisodes
    June 19, 2009 at 7:44 pm (8 years ago)

So glad to see you back, but I'm so sorry to hear. I hope you are feeling better and moving around better these days. You have been quite busy and sounds like you have been doing some wonderful things! I can't wait to hear more.

27. Mandy
    June 19, 2009 at 9:57 pm (8 years ago)

Oh my, you did start the summer out with a bang! I look forward to reading your blog often again. Welcome back!

June 20, 2009 at 6:38 am (8 years ago)

oh my gosh – I am so glad you are back I was starting to think you were gone for goodgreat post – so sorry you have had injuries – hope you heal soon!

29. ~*Michelle*~
    June 20, 2009 at 10:13 am (8 years ago)

hi there! Thank you for "hobbling" over to my blog…:)I believe God likes to throw these wingdingers in our life for a reason……He isn't random and doesn't waste any experience. Maybe He thought you could have some fun on those electric scooters and get first dibs on parking spots and check out lines.But from what you've said, it doesn't appear that this little mishap is slowing you down at all…..yikes! Embrace your children/family at this time….I am pretty sure something is going to be revealed to you during these next few weeks of healing. ;)Peace and love~~*Michelle*~ps please let me know about that book you are writing (chicken hatching!)xoxoxox

30. LisaShaw
    June 20, 2009 at 12:15 pm (8 years ago)

Ginny, thanks for your comment on my blog and I just wanted to come on over and visit briefly before I go on break and I pray healing over you and I'm so glad that you are back online.Blessings and peace dear sister.

31. Monica
    June 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm (8 years ago)

I'm so excited that you are back! I've missed you so much. I'm very impressed with your growth during your challenging times. I'm glad you have had a chance to get some special visiting time.

32. Indy
    June 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm (8 years ago)

Soooooo glad that you are back! And I can't believe you fell twice. Poor thing. I look forward to stopping by to catch up. Hang in there.

June 21, 2009 at 5:47 am (8 years ago)

Genny, I'm sorry to hear about your broken arm and torn knee (I hope your recovery is quick!).I'm SO HAPPY that you are blogging again (Your blog is one of my favorites – I just re-subscribed) and I'm SO happy that you're writing a non-fiction book for moms (Do you have a publisher yet? I want to read it!).I will look forward to your posts in the upcoming months…- StephanieP.S. How many kids do you have and how old are they? :)

34. Buzzings of a Queen Bee!
    June 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm (8 years ago)

Welcome back Genny! It does sound like you've had some crazy stuff going on…not the least of which is that wheelchair! I am glad to see you again! :)Carrie

June 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, everyone! So good to "see" all of you!Stephanie, no, I don't have a publisher for my book yet. I'm currently submitting to agents. And as far as my kiddos…my daughter is ten and my son is eight. Time flies!

36. Veggie Mom
    June 22, 2009 at 12:53 am (8 years ago)

Glad you're back, too! Sorry that you've started off the summer in a wheelchair, but sometimes those setbacks are a blessing in disguise, as I'm sure you've learned. Here's to productivity, longevity, learning how to cope, and enjoying the summer, huh?

37. Kirby3131
    June 22, 2009 at 3:43 pm (8 years ago)

I saw your name pop up in my comments and I got a little thrill :) I had a feeling it was you!! I never took your blog out of my Google reader, I just couldn't handle the fact that you might never blog again. I'm so glad you blogged and let me know how you've been. (Because I am the reason you blog right? LOL)A twisted knee and a hurt arm – that's one for the books. You sound like you had a good attitude and taught yourself some new tricks. Nice to see you back. I can't wait to read what you've written!

June 23, 2009 at 4:51 am (8 years ago)

Welcome back! You've been missed…I've always wanted to ride one of those WalMart thingies – lucky you! Seriously, I hope you're healed soon. Putting mascara on with one hand is no fun.And our condolences on the mice…

39. An Ordinary Mom
    August 25, 2009 at 3:28 am (8 years ago)

I am thrilled you are back … even though I have been on an extended bloggy break myself :) !!And what a whole lot of firsts you have had. I certainly hope life is treating you better, though your attitude is amazing!