Room Service, Anyone?

Waiter torso holding a silver tray with catering dome on a white backgroundNot long ago, Mike got a new phone system in our house that makes working from home easier for him. One of the features of the system is that the phones intercom each other–a convenient thing when you need to ask a quick question from upstairs or downstairs and don’t want to yell.

My daughter thinks it’s a great feature too, and has had fun calling from room to room.

Especially at bed-time.

The other night, literally one minute after Mike and I put the kids to bed, we heard the intercom…

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I picked up the phone.

“Mommy?” My daughter said. “Can I have some warm milk?”

“No, Honey. It’s late. You haven’t even tried to get to sleep yet.”

“But, Mommy?”

“What?”

“I’m starving.”

“You already had dinner and brushed your teeth. It’s time for bed.” I went to hang up the phone.

“Wait, Mommy. If I have crackers, do I have to brush my teeth again?”

“You can’t have crackers.”

“But I’m starving.”

I knew I should stand firm. I knew it. But against my better judgment, I started to waver.

Maybe she’s going through a growth spurt, I thought. Maybe she should have a little snack…

“All right,” I said reluctantly, guiltily aware of the fact that I was teaching her if she bugged me long enough, I’d give in. “You can have an apple.”

“Mommy?”

“What?”

“What about quesadillas?”

“No!” I’d just caved and offered her a snack, and now she was getting picky? “No quesadillas. It’s bed-time. I’m hanging up the phone and I’m bringing you some apples.”

“Okay. But, Mommy?” she said in her sweetest voice possible.

“WHAT?”

“Can you please cook me some bacon?”

BACON?!?

“NO! I’m not making bacon. It’s nine o’clock! What do you think this is? Room service?”

Cute little laugh. “Yeah.”

I know I should’ve stopped the conversation right there. Or given her a consequence. Or done something to discourage her behavior. But, blame it on being at that delirious parental breaking point where, like it or not, you’re either going to laugh or cry, I started cracking up.

I laughed, then she laughed, until we both laughed so hard we couldn’t stop.

“Well, it’s not,” I finally managed, catching my breath.

“Okay,” she said, still giggling.

“Listen.” I tried to sound firm. “I’ll cut you some strawberries if you don’t want apples. Then you need to go to sleep.”

“Okay. I’ll have strawberries.”

“Okay.” Sigh.

“And Mommy?” she said.

“What?!?!”

“While you’re at it, can you make me some warm milk?”…

I don’t think these intercoms are such a handy feature after all.

40 Comments on Room Service, Anyone?

1. Tiffany
    June 11, 2008 at 9:49 pm (9 years ago)

I hear you!Sometimes the mom in training of kids mode “should” do one thing, but the sense of humor in us doesn’t allow it. I think a wise mom can find that balance as you did – and I think it all works together to make well trained kids with a sense of humor.

2. Sandy C.
    June 11, 2008 at 9:58 pm (9 years ago)

Oh man, that is too funny :) Good for you for stickin’ to your guns!

3. Andrea
    June 11, 2008 at 10:55 pm (9 years ago)

So I thought the fact she asked for quesadillas was funny. But the bacon? Hilarious! I’m so glad you were able to laugh with your daughter – this was one of those moments it was definitely called for!

4. Shannon
    June 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm (9 years ago)

That is too funny! I am kind of glad that I don’t have an intercom system because I would be up all night delivery room service.

5. Heather
    June 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm (9 years ago)

Wow, I would not like those intercoms! That’s too much!I think it’s great that you can laugh in spite of the bedtime infraction. Laughter with our kids is such a gift!

June 11, 2008 at 11:35 pm (9 years ago)

♡ That is too funny!!! I can just see what my kids would do with an intercom!!! My day would never end! :)

June 11, 2008 at 11:54 pm (9 years ago)

oh your post was just perfect I feel like I give in to my son way to much sometimes I just can’t resist! Today I had one of those days where I thought geez when is he going to cut me a break! Glad to hear that I am not the only one that caves in and sometimes they really push us don’t they! I am a slave to my son! As always love reading your blog!

8. Kellan
    June 12, 2008 at 12:46 am (9 years ago)

This was so adorable – quesadillas – HAHAHAHAHA!I’m Kellan, btw – see you soon.

9. BundyMum
    June 12, 2008 at 2:00 am (9 years ago)

HEHE! Thanks for the laugh (out loud I might add!). I reckon God smiles at all our intercom requests sometimes!

10. carrie
    June 12, 2008 at 2:20 am (9 years ago)

gosh, I do that cave thing also. What’s up with that? We know better, then we start justifying like you said about the growth spurt and oh! I can’t starve my baby.And then my husband gets upset for me being a softy!I can’t win.

11. tollesons4him
    June 12, 2008 at 3:31 am (9 years ago)

That was so cute! I love that she asked for quesadillas and bacon, what a hoot!!!! I am like you though I cave so easy with my girls!

12. franticallysimple
    June 12, 2008 at 6:17 am (9 years ago)

That is too funny.She would have had me too. “I’m hungry” is my weakness. I just can’t stand the thought of my little girl lying in bed, hungry. I’m a sucker, I know.

13. spaghettipie
    June 12, 2008 at 6:30 am (9 years ago)

That was totally hilarious. I would absolutely call from room to room. Why bother walking in and having a face to face conversation with anyone in your family ever again? :)

14. Brenna
    June 12, 2008 at 6:46 am (9 years ago)

Fabulous blog. I love it! I can relate to this post. Starving! That is so cute. I’d like to put your button on my sidebar. Have a great week!

June 12, 2008 at 7:19 am (9 years ago)

Sometimes technology is EVIL!!!

16. megs
    June 12, 2008 at 1:11 pm (9 years ago)

What a funny, sweet story. I loved it!

17. Jaysi
    June 12, 2008 at 2:02 pm (9 years ago)

Oh, that is too funny. We have those intercom phones too. My kids are too little to use them, but I better keep this info from my husband. He would love a little room service!

18. We are THAT Family
    June 12, 2008 at 9:51 pm (9 years ago)

Oh, my kids would love an intercom, but me, not so much! Quesadillas and bacon? the stuff blogs are made for.

19. Joanne
    June 13, 2008 at 1:26 am (9 years ago)

Genny,That was just hysterical. Are you sure you were writing about your house?!?We don’t have the intercom thingamajig but the yelling in our home back and forth from bedroom to family room is uncannily the same conversation.Blessings, Joanne

20. Beck
    June 13, 2008 at 12:23 pm (9 years ago)

Oh no!We stayed at a fancy hotel a couple of summers ago, and ever since my oldest has spoken dreamily about the beauties of room service….

21. Gina Conroy
    June 14, 2008 at 1:12 am (9 years ago)

Sounds like my little girl. She’s always hungry. I try to offer the kids carrots at night. If they refuse, then I figure they’re not really hungry!

22. Laura@Storytellin' Mama
    June 14, 2008 at 4:35 am (9 years ago)

So Funny!! The conversations with kids are amazing.My kids always seem to get hungry before bed, sometimes we have cereal and milk about twenty minutes before bed. Maybe it’s a bad habit, but I always imagine their tummies full and good little sleepers!

23. Scribbit
    June 14, 2008 at 6:53 am (9 years ago)

TOo funny! No intercoms–so noted.

June 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm (9 years ago)

Loved it – great post so funny – your daughter sounds like she has a great personality

25. Jamie
    June 15, 2008 at 6:05 am (9 years ago)

Bacon and Quesidillas…too funny! By the way, you have got a great blog! I just stumbled upon it today and have enjoyed reading.

26. Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories
    June 15, 2008 at 9:43 pm (9 years ago)

Oh my word…this is hilarious! Duly noted – intercoms are not conducive to the bedtime process. And who knew….bacon?? I love it.

27. Kara
    June 16, 2008 at 1:10 am (9 years ago)

Just popped over to your blog again and was delighted with a funny and familiar story. My nearly 3 year old is quite so clever herself at bedtime and unfortunately gets me laughing during times when I should be “cracking down”! The bacon request was my favorite though. I would put a curfew on those intercoms. :-)

28. Kristen M.
    June 16, 2008 at 10:57 am (9 years ago)

Remind me not to get that feature on my phone!

June 16, 2008 at 5:46 pm (9 years ago)

That gave me a good chuckle! I’m glad we don’t have an intercom – it would be abused, and probably by us grown-ups! (We like to joke around)

30. Robyn
    June 16, 2008 at 6:44 pm (9 years ago)

I have a 3 year old that is the best bedtime staller ever. It’s amazing what they come up with!! Hey at least your little one was eating healthy after bed!!

31. His Girl
    June 17, 2008 at 12:41 am (9 years ago)

i read this at work yesterday, and laughed all the way out loud! hysterical!having a good sense of humor, i’m convinced, is one of the essentials of survival ;)

32. care-in
    June 17, 2008 at 3:24 am (9 years ago)

This made me laugh! So cute.

33. Mama C
    June 17, 2008 at 6:46 pm (9 years ago)

I love this story. We’ve had many of those types of bedtime hunger situations. Sometimes we just have to give in to our kid’s sweet attempts to manipulate us, simply because we love them.

34. The Dishes Will Wait
    June 19, 2008 at 12:57 am (9 years ago)

Aren’t those laughs with your kids the best??? Kelly @ Pass the Torch recommended your blog to me. I love your writing! I will definitely be checking back.

35. Becca
    July 2, 2008 at 8:52 pm (9 years ago)

Very well written.Hehe.You seem like a wonderful mom.

36. Lindsay
    May 16, 2011 at 10:32 am (7 years ago)

Sounds like you have a sweet, and very convincing little girl! Visiting from SITS, congrats on your feature day!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Room Service, Anyone?