It’s How You Say Hello…

By Genny

The other day I took my kids to the gym with me. When I went to pick them up from the play area after I’d finished working out, I passed the window to the room that they were in.

My daughter saw me through the glass and jumped up and waved.

And when I opened the door, she was standing at the front desk, smiling. “Mommy!” she said, hugging me tight.

I’d only been “gone” for an hour, but by the way she acted, you’d guess it had been a week.

This sweet greeting from my third-grader seriously melted my heart. And it made me think…

How do I say hello to her?

I thought about the morning before, when I woke her up with a quick kiss on the forehead, then launched into a very rushed, “Don’t take too long getting ready because it’s our day to carpool. And you need to clean your room before we leave. It looks like a tornado came through here.”

I thought about when I’d picked my kids up from school that day, too. We’d walked through the park, passing others who were playing on the swings and buying ice-cream from the ice-cream truck. I shuffled my kids along, reminding them to hurry because we had to get to basketball. I barely registered their disappointed faces when I told them we didn’t have time for ice-cream.

And now I’m thinking I need to be more aware of this greeting thing.

Because I want to make sure when I say hi to my kids, or to my husband, or to anyone, I’m doing it in a way that really acknowledges them. And I want to give the kind of greeting that focuses on that moment, not all of the things on the schedule ahead.

I truly appreciated how my daughter made me feel that day at the gym. And I appreciated the reminder to slow down and take the time to make my kids feel special.

Because I want them to know how much I love them.

With every single hello.

46 Comments on It’s How You Say Hello…

1. Kristin
    June 8, 2008 at 2:42 am (6 years ago)

we Genny I can totally agree, so did you ever figure out how to say hello? You got me on edge here.

June 8, 2008 at 5:06 am (6 years ago)

Such a beautiful post and such a wonderful reminder! I want to be more intentional about my greetings too…P.S. I’m a Kirtsy Editor and I just “picked” this story so it’s now on the main page. Stephaniehttp://metropolitanmama.net

3. Tiffany
    June 8, 2008 at 6:30 am (6 years ago)

Precious reminder. I also am guilty too often of “reminders” rather than greetings. May I be reminded to more often say hello like that is the most important thing in that moment.

4. Becoming Me
    June 8, 2008 at 3:05 pm (6 years ago)

Oh girl…you just stepped all over my toes! :-) But in a good way. I needed this. You are fabulous. You should I write, God’s love shines fabulously through you!I’m going to send this link to Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer. Maybe she’ll feature you one Saturday. She should!

5. Becoming Me
    June 8, 2008 at 3:12 pm (6 years ago)

How did I manage that typo—I meant to write “Or should I write God…

6. Amber
    June 8, 2008 at 3:31 pm (6 years ago)

Great post! Something to really think about…I try to give my daughter my whole self when I am playing with her, but find my mind wandering to business…

June 8, 2008 at 4:13 pm (6 years ago)

♡ That’s so true! Very good reminder! :)

8. Kelly @ Pass the Torch
    June 8, 2008 at 5:52 pm (6 years ago)

Great reminder – seriously. It’s those little moments that make all the difference. Kids get that. Adults rarely do (myself included.)

9. An Ordinary Mom
    June 8, 2008 at 6:21 pm (6 years ago)

What a fabulous thing to focus on, the way we greet people. And if we focus on that, it just seems logical that the rest of the encounter will go more smoothly, too.What great words of wisdom!

10. Laura@Storytellin' Mama
    June 8, 2008 at 7:06 pm (6 years ago)

I have thought about this when I meet a new elementary or preschool teacher, I watch how they greet my kids and the other kids, but it is such a good reminder on a personal level.My kids are similar, their faces light up and they are so enthusiastic when they see me coming. they give so freely… I now I don’t always reciprocate.Thanks for the beautiful post!

11. spaghettipie
    June 9, 2008 at 2:21 am (6 years ago)

I loved your thoughts here. It reminds me of a story Larry Crabb tells about Brennan Manning. The short of it is, they were at a conference together and saw each other across a crowded room. Brennan jumped up and down at the sight of his friend, just as a child excitedly jumps up and down. Larry commented on the way it made him feel, and how he chose from that day on to show that sort of enthusiasm to greet others as well.

June 9, 2008 at 2:05 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you so much for the reminder. I rushed this morning getting the kids ready and I can’t remember if I even told them have a great day!

13. We are THAT Family
    June 9, 2008 at 5:43 pm (6 years ago)

What a great thought! I’m so guilty of this with my 3rd grader. Thanks for this awesome reminder!

June 9, 2008 at 6:54 pm (6 years ago)

as usual a beautiful post. I find myself doing the same thing we have such busy schedules and sometimes need to slow down and live in the moment! Thanks for the reminder.

15. World's Greatest Mommy
    June 9, 2008 at 8:51 pm (6 years ago)

Oh I totally needed this reminder. I love it when i get that “MOMMY” greeting, but I certainly don’t give it very often. I wonder how my kids would feel if when they walked in a room, I was always super thrilled to see them, and showed it?

16. lisette s.
    June 10, 2008 at 1:48 am (6 years ago)

I get the same hello’s from my little ones and I am guilty of doing the same thing. I will definitely make it a point to say hello in a way that will really appreciate them. Thanks so much for the reminder and for your comments.

June 10, 2008 at 8:40 am (6 years ago)

Wow. I think I need to print this out and hang it somewhere prominent.Thank you.

18. Kris
    June 10, 2008 at 4:45 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks, Genny, for your kind comments on my blog. I’m glad you commented so that I could find *your* blog. I needed the reminder about those hellos today. I’m terribly guilty about waking the kids with, “Okay, everybody up! Time to check your chore charts!” Not much of a way to welcome a new day together.

19. Sandy C.
    June 10, 2008 at 5:18 pm (6 years ago)

So a great post :) I tend to overlook my greetings for hubby all the time since I’m usually busy with the toddler. Thank you for the reminder.

20. Andrea
    June 10, 2008 at 7:46 pm (6 years ago)

You’re so right. I do the very same thing with my kids. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and say “hello”!

21. Mama C
    June 10, 2008 at 8:51 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today, I’m so happy you stopped by, so that I could discover yours! This was a very thought provoking post. Thank you for reminding me to savor those precious moments with my loved ones.

22. carrie
    June 10, 2008 at 11:33 pm (6 years ago)

I think about this a lot. I know I’m failing in this area sometimes and hope I can get with it before they get any older!!

23. Janel
    June 11, 2008 at 1:57 am (6 years ago)

Oh, I totally get this! I have been feeling the same way but with my husband in particular. Often he comes in and I am on the computer and mumble a “hey.” Can you imagine how welcome he must feel? yeah, right. I really have been convicted lately to make more of an effort to greet him with a kiss and a happy hello that says, ” I am so happy to see you!”Thanks for the reminder!

June 11, 2008 at 4:56 am (6 years ago)

Thanks for the reminder! I try to make mornings good for my baby even though I’ve always hated them myself – I suspect how she wakes up determines how the rest of the day is going to go.

June 11, 2008 at 5:59 am (6 years ago)

Great post My girl is in third grade also and my son in jr high. It is easy to over focus on the to do list and miss the moment. Great reminder

26. Monica
    June 14, 2008 at 4:16 pm (6 years ago)

Thank you for this beautiful reminder. I needed it!

27. Gotta GROW with it
    June 14, 2008 at 7:44 pm (6 years ago)

i loved this post. for me it’s also kissing and hugging them everyday. i’m with ya on the hustle of things.this did remind me of my in-laws though. they do that with my kids whenever they come thru the door…such a joyful, exciting and loving “hello”. it’s priceless.

28. Kara
    June 14, 2008 at 7:54 pm (6 years ago)

Found your awesome blog through Rocks in my dryer today and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. What a thought-provoking way to think about our greetings and I loved how you phrased it because if we become aware of how someone’s heartfelt and attentive greeting makes us feel, then we can become aware of making others feel that exact same way. You have awakened my sensitivity to both my hubby and daughter. Glad I stopped by!

29. Jenny
    June 14, 2008 at 10:14 pm (6 years ago)

A great reminder! I’m going to purpose to be better at my “hellos”. I really could use some improvement in this department.

30. His Girl
    June 15, 2008 at 1:48 am (6 years ago)

care-in sent me over, and I’m glad she did! great post!

31. Marsha
    June 15, 2008 at 3:12 am (6 years ago)

Thank you for this gentle reminder to be more conscious of how we great one another, especially our family. This is my first time over here. I’ll be back.Have a blessed weekend.

32. ttelroc
    June 15, 2008 at 5:22 am (6 years ago)

I used to come running (literally) when my husband got home from work. I would greet him with a smile and a hug and a kiss. Now we work together and don’t “need” to have that greeting like before – but it is easy to forget that just because you are so casual with one another that being excited to see them is thrilling to the one receiving the greeting.We also used to have a “kissing step” that I would stand on in the morning before he left for work. Have a great day! Kristin(thanks Shannon for another great blog link)

33. Kristen M.
    June 15, 2008 at 9:24 am (6 years ago)

For my daughter’s first year I was always conscious of walking into the nursery with a smile on my face no matter what time of the day. I’m sad to say that I wasn’t as consistent with my second child. Thanks for the reminder!

34. Jessica D.
    June 16, 2008 at 3:52 am (6 years ago)

you are so right!

35. Jenn
    June 16, 2008 at 9:39 pm (6 years ago)

A friend posted a link to this post (Karen @ Cheerful Thoughts). Thank you for the reminder – what a lovely post.

36. care-in
    June 17, 2008 at 3:23 am (6 years ago)

I can’t remember how I found your blog but I’m glad I did. I just love this post.

37. Katy Lin :)
    June 17, 2008 at 8:24 pm (6 years ago)

what a great reminder! thank you for sharing this!

38. The Little Window Shoppe
    June 18, 2008 at 12:30 am (6 years ago)

Such a nice post. It really inspires me to be more sincere in my greetings to my loved ones. So glad I found this blog. :)

39. Shannon
    June 20, 2008 at 3:09 am (6 years ago)

What a beautiful post! Just came across your blog via Scribbit’s. Thanks for a touching reminder.

July 1, 2008 at 9:22 pm (6 years ago)

I love to greet each morning with a prayer…my way of gretting the Lord and thanking Him for a new day.God bless-Amanda

August 10, 2009 at 4:28 pm (5 years ago)

Genny,I have been thinking about this very thing myself. I have consciously be aware of how I talk to my children; you know how stress and life can alter our communication. I try to smile when I'm talking to them; at least they perceive a good mood that way…even if inside I'm seething from some other issue.Thanks for the reminder.Kellie

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on It’s How You Say Hello…