The SCBWI Conference, Relay for Life event, and other fun stuff…
1. Happy Friday, everyone! I hope you had a great week. It seems like just yesterday I was telling you that I was preparing for a conference, and now it’s already here…
The SCBWI 2010 Spring Spirit Conference is on Saturday. I’m looking forward to speaking about The Nuts and Bolts of Writing and Illustrating for Children and spending the day with a whole lot of other writers and illustrators. If you’re going to the conference, be sure to say hi while you’re there! And if not, I’ll take photos and post about it soon. We’ve got an exciting lineup of guests and my friend Erin Dealey will be tweeting live from the conference at #SCBWICA. Be sure to check it out on twitter!
2. Also on the subject of writing: Wendy over at https://thoughtsthatmove.blogspot.com/ wrote a great post about writing websites. She also wrote about querying tips, so head over to her blog and have a read! You’ll be glad you did.
3. Another thing I’m looking forward to this weekend is participating in an American Cancer Society Relay for Life event. Mike and I and the kids have done this the past few years and we love being a part of it. I’m always so inspired to see people come together for a cause like helping to fight cancer.
Here’s a picture of my mother-in-law (in the middle, with blonde hair) walking the survivor lap last year:
I remember how moving it was to walk in the event early Sunday morning before the sun was up. The sky was dark, the luminaries were still lit around the track from the night before, and everyone walked in silence. It was pretty emotional.
What about you? Have you ever walked for a cause? What was your experience?
4. A call for contributors: I’ve recently become Managing Editor for 5MinutesforFaith (a sister site to 5MinutesforMom) and I’m looking for contributors. If you’re interested in writing for the site on a regular basis, or if you’d like to submit a guest post, email me with a sample post. Please take a minute to read the contributor guidelines before submitting.
5. Help! I’d love to get more topic ideas for Talkin’ Thursdays! Email me your suggestions, or leave a comment here. Let me know what you want to talk (or read) about.
6. Calling all moms (or dads): Is there anything specific you’d like to see on Mom-Mondays? Any parenting or mom-related questions you have? If so, I’d love to hear from you. Also, if you have a mom-story to share, send it my way and I might use it on Mondays. :)
7. I’ll be making some design changes here in the next month, so excuse the dust if you see any! If you’ve been reading here a while, you know I like change, and I’m excited about having a new look around here soon! :)
I think that’s it. I hope you have a great weekend. I’ll see you back here next week!
For more 7 Quick Takes, be sure and stop by Jennifer’s Conversion Diary.