Funny How Things Happen

Not long ago, Joanne from Blessed and I realized we live near each other.

We had met through our blogs, so discovering we were both in the same area was fun and coincidental.

Needless to say, we decided we had to get together.

We met for coffee (of course) and had a great time talking about writing and blogging and family. She’s so much fun, and I felt like I’d known her for a long time. Here’s a picture of us at Starbucks that morning:

author joanne kraft and author genny heikka

It’s funny how sometimes people come into your life, or things happen, and you know it’s meant to be.

Like the position I recently got at a publishing company. If I hadn’t run into somebody I hadn’t seen in years (at a different Starbucks a few weeks ago), the opportunity wouldn’t have presented itself. But I’m glad it did, and I’m really excited to be embarking on some new activities.

And though I’ll be working in my new role a couple of days a week, and balancing that with my other writing, you’re not getting rid of me. :)

I’ll still be posting, and I’ll be launching something around here soon that I’m really excited about.

So please keep coming back, and bear with me as I transition. I love your comments and the sense of community you’ve all helped to build, and I know that’s something that hasn’t happened by chance… it’s happened by you taking the time to stop by, read, and share a little bit of yourself.

And I appreciate that more than I can say.

38 Comments on Funny How Things Happen

September 15, 2008 at 8:34 am (9 years ago)

Out of all that modern technology and this wonderous place called the internet has to offer I think that is the best of all – the chance for tiny little personal connections. Ones that would never have been made without it. Without it, and a healthy dose of serendipity.Congratulations on your new job. Fly high and fly well my friend.

2. Kim
    September 15, 2008 at 11:48 am (9 years ago)

Congratulations on your new position! And, what a fun meeting with a new friend! Best Wishes!

September 15, 2008 at 12:29 pm (9 years ago)

Divine appointments . . .Your new position sounds exciting! Keep us posted.

4. Christy
    September 15, 2008 at 12:56 pm (9 years ago)

Looking forward to seeing what you are up to!

5. mommaof4wife2r
    September 15, 2008 at 1:18 pm (9 years ago)

super fun! and all i have to say, coffee is the universal language! i’ll take mine with cream please!best of luck in the new position…

6. Jaysi
    September 15, 2008 at 1:54 pm (9 years ago)

Congratulations! That is really exciting. I worked part time after my first son, and I really liked it. It took a while to get the balance thing down, but then it was really great to be out of the house using my skills.

7. shannon
    September 15, 2008 at 2:28 pm (9 years ago)

That’s so neat about meeting your friend Genny! The same thing happened to me! I met someone on a matchbox twenty fan board (LOL) that lived right in my small town of Cool, of all places! Now we go to concerts together and learned we also have our faith in common. She’s a special friend to me now. On that note, I’m going to send her a link to your blog. I’m sure she’d enjoy it! :)Congrats on your job Genny! I’m so happy for you! I want to hear all about it! Let’s get together soon!

8. Joyful
    September 15, 2008 at 2:29 pm (9 years ago)

So excited for you and all that God is doing in your life.I’m thankful the Lord directed me over here to meet you! You are a blessing.Have a great day,Joy

9. RefreshMom
    September 15, 2008 at 4:20 pm (9 years ago)

Congrats on your new position! Don’t you just love the “chance” meetings that God uses to bring special new things into our lives? (I have occasion to be in your neighborhood now and then too; maybe we can have one of those Starbucks meetings sometime.)

10. Indy
    September 15, 2008 at 4:34 pm (9 years ago)

I can’t wait to hear more about your new position. That is so exciting!!! I also love when I meet someone and it has felt like we were always friends.

September 15, 2008 at 4:43 pm (9 years ago)

I actually found Joanne’s blog through yours and realized that we live not too far apart! Glad you were able to get together – how fun!Congrats on your new position. Sounds very exciting! You won’t get rid of me during any transitions. :)

12. Mrs. Sidney
    September 15, 2008 at 5:04 pm (9 years ago)

Congrats on this new season of your life. I pray you continue to grow and florish as a writer. I just love stopping by to see what you have to say. I can’t wait to see what is next!!

13. Kirby3131
    September 15, 2008 at 5:38 pm (9 years ago)

The two of you look like sisters! Long lost sisters maybe? Congrats on your new adventure!! Can’t wait to see what you are doing.Kristin

14. Laura@Storytellin' Mama
    September 15, 2008 at 7:28 pm (9 years ago)

Congratulations on your new position… and this blog is a great place to have many moments of engagement!!

15. Growin' with it!
    September 15, 2008 at 8:00 pm (9 years ago)

so cool you got to meet! i bet it is even more fun reading her blog now, knowing her heart a bit more personally!

16. Cindy
    September 15, 2008 at 8:06 pm (9 years ago)

Congratulations on your new position. A season of transition brings such excitement. Looking forward to the new things God is speaking to you.Have a blessed day.Cindy

September 15, 2008 at 9:19 pm (9 years ago)

I wonder how different my life would be had I decided to start drinking coffee….Ha!Good for you! Reach for the starts little missy! the Lord has grand plans for you.Many blessings-Amanda

18. Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories
    September 15, 2008 at 10:06 pm (9 years ago)

I am thrilled for you…congrats! And we’re not going anywhere…transition can be tough, but we’ll be here to read whenever you are able to post.

19. Joanne
    September 15, 2008 at 11:11 pm (9 years ago)

Hey there friend,What a sweet post. I just posted about you on my blog. I think we said that we needed to get together in the Fall…will you have any time for me in October? I would love to catch up, and can’t wait to hear all that God is doing with your writing.Remember, I want one of your first signed copies of your children’s book!Joanne :O)

20. The Dishes Will Wait
    September 15, 2008 at 11:52 pm (9 years ago)

Please do keep us posted! And please do keep posting!!

21. Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady"
    September 16, 2008 at 2:21 am (9 years ago)

what a blessing to meet Joanne! I would love to meet some of the women I have met through blogging.GOD BLESS!

22. Buzzings of a Queen Bee!
    September 16, 2008 at 3:33 am (9 years ago)

Well, congratulations on the new career adventures, and we will be sure to bear with you as you get used to the new situation. I will still be hanging around to read whatever you write! :)Carrie

September 16, 2008 at 3:51 am (9 years ago)

How wonderful that you were able to meet, and that blogging allowed you to connect. I can’t wait to see the new and exciting changes, and good luck with your new adventure. I’ll definitely stick around! :)

24. Sandy Toes
    September 16, 2008 at 4:57 pm (9 years ago)

Wow….that is wonderful. I was at the country living fair and thought I saw someone who I blog with! How fun! I am glad I found you…what a fun blog!I have read blogs where we have so much in common and thought wish you lived near me..we would have fun!-Sandy toes

September 16, 2008 at 7:53 pm (9 years ago)

what a great picture! It is funny how sometimes friends come into your life just at the right time, and I think Starbucks is a good luck charm for you! Is that your “Jesus Take The Wheel” necklace I see?

26. Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart
    September 17, 2008 at 2:44 am (9 years ago)

Sounds exciting. Congrats on your new job.Sharing coffee with friends, new and old, is always good.

27. Donna@WayMoreHomemade
    September 17, 2008 at 4:20 am (9 years ago)

Yes, I had one of those same encounters this week. What a blessing…

September 17, 2008 at 6:23 am (9 years ago)

Wow that is so exciting, it will all work out balancing the new job, the homefront and your writing.Congrats – I love all the coffee encounters

29. Elizabeth
    September 18, 2008 at 1:02 am (9 years ago)

really excited about your new launch coming up…i will stay tuned! :-)i am so excited that you are a mommy who writes…and is successful in both…lately i wonder if i will ever have my schedule in tact (and my house for that matter b/c of moving) to do that. you inspire me.

30. Mandy
    September 18, 2008 at 1:20 am (9 years ago)

YOu two could pass as sisters! It is fun how things just work out…

31. Tiffany Stuart
    September 18, 2008 at 2:18 am (9 years ago)

Love how God brings about His purposes and relationships. I too have found such a community of friends through blogging. So glad you got to meet a blogger friend face to face.

32. Casey's trio
    September 18, 2008 at 4:10 am (9 years ago)

Congrats on the new job endeavor…can’t wait to hear more about it! I love it when the real world and the blog world collides…how fun that you met one of your bloggy friends.

33. Jyl @ MommyGossip
    September 18, 2008 at 4:57 am (9 years ago)

Cute pic! Don’t you love finding kindred spirits? And, it always happens in such unique ways. Last weekend, I went on a sister’s vacation and rediscovered this in my sisters. What a great discovery!Can’t wait to see what you have planned for your blog.

34. Shannon
    September 18, 2008 at 7:05 pm (9 years ago)

Very cool…the new friend and the new position. Good luck with all of it and I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

35. An Ordinary Mom
    September 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm (9 years ago)

Congrats on your new position! Starbucks must be the happening place to hang out :) !!

36. Kathy S.
    September 29, 2008 at 4:28 am (9 years ago)

How cool is that! I love meeting blogging sisters in person!And coffee to top it off-awesome!