Our new puppy

Ever since our dog Lady died, and especially since our daughter got her kitten, our son has been wanting a puppy.

Mike and I thought it would be fun to get him one for his birthday, so we went on a puppy search this weekend.

Look what we found:

shitzu puppy

shitzu puppy

Her name is Bailey, she’s ten weeks old, and she’s just about the sweetest dog you’ve ever seen.

The only problem is she loves to be held, which doesn’t work so well when you’re trying to crate train her.

And when you’re trying to sleep.

It’s too funny; Mike and I almost feel like we have a newborn in the house again, waking up every few hours to get her and take her outside!  :)

(Any puppy training tips appreciated!)

Talk soon,

56 Comments on Our new puppy

1. Adoption Mama
    January 27, 2010 at 1:30 am (8 years ago)

O, My Goodness!!! That is the cutest little thing ever.

2. Buckeroomama
    January 27, 2010 at 1:43 am (8 years ago)

What a super sweet little puppy! I want one, too! :)

3. Esther
    January 27, 2010 at 2:38 am (8 years ago)

very cute!! (and i'm not even a dog person!)

January 27, 2010 at 2:46 am (8 years ago)

so cute, I bet the kiddos are really enjoying having a puppy

5. Annie
    January 27, 2010 at 2:46 am (8 years ago)

Oh, such a cutie pie.

6. Ana
    January 27, 2010 at 2:47 am (8 years ago)

Hi Genny. Love your blog. I forget how I landed here, but I remember bookmarketing it and have been reading for a few days now, first time commenting.The puppy is absolutely adorable. Hard not to spoil them when they're that little (yep, just like babies). This may be tough because your puppy is so tiny and her bladder may be super small, but we covered our crate at night with our pup. She slept through the night from the first night we did that. She doesn't wake up now to go to the bathroom for hours on end (bladder of steel!). As for potty training inside, it took her a good year before she stopped peeing on our carpet. We have the stains to prove it. Anyway, enjoy her! She's super sweet. Thanks again for the great blog.-AnaPS – I got a camera for Christmas too and love it!! In fact your readers gave some great tips on sites to visit, tutorials to take.

7. Cecily R
    January 27, 2010 at 2:51 am (8 years ago)

That little furball is so cute that it almost…ALMOST…makes me want to cave and get my kids one. :)

8. Michelle
    January 27, 2010 at 2:56 am (8 years ago)

Puppies are cute, but they are a lot of work aren't they? Is your new puppy a shitzu?

9. MahoneyMusings
    January 27, 2010 at 3:06 am (8 years ago)

Too cute! And yes, definitely feels like having a newborn again.As far as advice goes….keep up with the crate training. It's an invaluable potty training tool! Dogs won't go to the bathroom in what they perceive as their den.I hope the puppy becomes a beloved family pet. So sweet!

10. confused homemaker
    January 27, 2010 at 3:15 am (8 years ago)

Adorable doesn't begin to describe that puppy! My kids, especially Mr. G & Mamacita, have been asking for a puppy forever. We are considering taking the plunge over the summer–when schedules are less hectic–these pictures only make me want a puppy NOW. So CUTE.

January 27, 2010 at 3:33 am (8 years ago)

oh, I love her!!!

12. Theta Mom
    January 27, 2010 at 3:37 am (8 years ago)

So cute! And I can finally follow!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

13. Jess
    January 27, 2010 at 3:49 am (8 years ago)

What a cute little puppy!

January 27, 2010 at 4:00 am (8 years ago)

Precious!

15. Happy
    January 27, 2010 at 4:05 am (8 years ago)

She sure looks like the sweetest puppy ever! She's adorable! And what a sweet puppy name…Bailey! I'll come hold her!Wait, I have a newborn in the house for real. Guess I can't be spared at the moment after all!

16. Lexie Loo & Dylan Too
    January 27, 2010 at 4:37 am (8 years ago)

She is so adorable!!!Our dog's name is Bailey, too. ;)Enjoy the puppy!

January 27, 2010 at 6:30 am (8 years ago)

What a cutie!

18. Kerry
    January 27, 2010 at 9:16 am (8 years ago)

SUPER cute puppy. :)Just wanted to stop by via mom bloggers. You have a gorgeous site, feels so warm and inviting!I'll make sure to stop by more often.

19. Run DMT
    January 27, 2010 at 10:32 am (8 years ago)

Awwwwww. That dog looks like a stuffed toy. I couldn't resit not holding it.

20. Upstatemomof3
    January 27, 2010 at 12:58 pm (8 years ago)

Oh she is too stinking cute!!! She makes me want a puppy again.

21. Jeanine
    January 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm (8 years ago)

That's about the cutest little puppy I've ever seen! Congratulations on your new arrival!Our older dog loved to be carried, too. We got him in early November and we took him with us whenever we took the kids to school or picked them up from something. Since it was a chilly time of year, he fit perfectly inside Scott or my coat…just his little face sticking out. He loved it. He still loves to be snuggled and held and will curl up next to you on the couch or in the chair and he loves blankets.Hope this little puppy brings much joy and happiness to your family as much as our two four-legged family members do at our house!Peace.Jeanine

January 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm (8 years ago)

Oh goodness that dog is adorable!! I hope he grows to be your sons lifelong friend!Blessings-Amanda

23. Suzi
    January 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm (8 years ago)

She is adorable. I bet your son was thrilled when you brought her home.

24. Stacy (the Random Cool Chick)
    January 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm (8 years ago)

Awwwww! She is SO cute! Is she a lhasa apso or Shih Tzu? My parents have Shih Tzu's… :) It is like having a newborn, isn't it? :)

25. Jessica
    January 27, 2010 at 2:31 pm (8 years ago)

She is adorable. What kind of dog is she? My daughter wants a mulitpoo dog. They don't shed and they are really tiny. but my husband is not big on animals in the house. i think we will have to work on him lol.

26. Kim H.
    January 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm (8 years ago)

Oh Genny, you gave your son the gift that keeps on giving!!! :)She's just the cutest little thing and I'm sure she will bring lots of joy to your lives. And lots of work, but we won't mention that. We'll just focus on her cuteness! :)Hugs!

27. Susie
    January 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm (8 years ago)

Oh my gosh!! Too cute!!

28. Judy@cutest-little-things
    January 27, 2010 at 3:10 pm (8 years ago)

Oh my!!! Just adorable! Reminds of a puppy in the movie Santa Buddies named Tiny! Absolutely precious!You have a lovely blog!Judy@cutest-little-things

29. Kiki
    January 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm (8 years ago)

AW..what an absolutely sweet gentle soul! Lovely photos!Kiki~

January 27, 2010 at 4:02 pm (8 years ago)

Thanks, everyone! Michelle and Stacy, yes, she's a Shih Tzu. And Ana, we covered her crate with a blanket last night and she had a much better night. THANK YOU! :)Thanks for all the tips!

31. Brenda
    January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm (8 years ago)

Baily is adorable! I wish I could touch him.

32. G-Zell
    January 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm (8 years ago)

Awww how adorable… so cute!Love the name too. Have a great week!

33. The Royal Family
    January 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm (8 years ago)

oh I want a puppy so bad!!!Visiting from 7 clown circus- wordful wednesday.The BuzzBrandy

34. Rudy Rukus
    January 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm (8 years ago)

she is very cute!!

January 27, 2010 at 6:42 pm (8 years ago)

Schitzus (sp) are the sweetest dogs ever. My grandfather had one that I just adored. She actually ate pickles for her treat. Good luck with your new family member.

36. Doll Clothes Gal Pal
    January 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm (8 years ago)

Too cute! She looks just like my Chubby! Shih tzu's need a LOT of attention or else they will be depressed and miserable. They enjoy the attention from the family, loves to be groomed (and then walked so they can show off). :P When she gets older, and her hair gets longer, it will be much more difficult to take care of her because she would need to be brushed every other day. I would strongly advise grooming her regularly, and getting a "puppy cut" if you dont have the time to always brush her hair. It takes about a month and a half to two months for the hair to grow back and then its time for another haircut. We also have a WW entry! :)

37. Tesa
    January 27, 2010 at 10:08 pm (8 years ago)

Adorable! Love the fuzzy face!

38. sheila
    January 27, 2010 at 11:04 pm (8 years ago)

oH, SO CUTE! She looks a lot like my MIL's dog, Bella. We've got a saint and a retriever. I would imagine the advice would be the same though, lol. Earplugs. And a crate.:)OH WIAT! If you have one of those old type kitchen timers that sorta tick loudly….wrap that in a blanket or towel and put it in the cage with her, or just next to it if she tries to play with it.It's supposed to simulate the mama's heartbeat.

39. Coupon Clippin' Mommy
    January 28, 2010 at 12:26 am (8 years ago)

Is it a little Shih Tzu? We have one, she's 7 years old this year. such sweet dogs.

40. H-Mama
    January 28, 2010 at 2:13 am (8 years ago)

oh. my. she is the CUTEst puppy! ever! that's exactly the kind of dog the girls and i wanted, but we had to compromise with hubs.no crate training advice… other than read up on all the dog whisperer, cesar millan, books and shows! priceless info. our dog was a rescue, almost 4 yrs old, and already housebroken. ;)

41. Momisodes
    January 28, 2010 at 2:30 am (8 years ago)

Oh she is so adorable! I would never be able to resist that face.

42. Julia
    January 28, 2010 at 2:33 am (8 years ago)

A-DOR-A-BLE!!!! I don't like dogs normally but I'd might make an exception for yours. :)THanks for visiting at TAG.Welcome!

43. Barbie
    January 28, 2010 at 6:56 am (8 years ago)

Oh that is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. Adorable! Have fun!

44. Deb
    January 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm (6 years ago)

Genny, I am so jealous. My dog died last year and I want a puppy soooo badly. Working on my dh maybe when spring arrives. Your Bailey is adorable! Enjoy!!

• Genny
      January 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog, Deb… I hope you get a puppy soon! (This post was actually an old one running on a plug in for “best of”… Bailey is now over a year old but she is still jsut as cute. Not that I’m biased or anything!