There is a Moose in Our House

And there’s this, too…

pink igloo fort

A big, round, pink-igloo fort that my kids made out of umbrellas.

And when they asked if they could leave it up for “a little while”, I let them…

in the front room of the house,

the first room you see when you walk in the door,

in spite of the fact that “a little while” turned into a week,

and friends and neighbors even stopped by.

Because you know what?

I’m learning that the house doesn’t always have to be matchy-matchy and perfect. In fact, it’s a whole lot more fun when you have a pink igloo in the front room. It makes for some good conversation.

But, back to the moose.

There is one in our house.

The game, that is.

there's a moose in the house game

moose in the house game

And we’ve been playing it a lot lately.

Because with this whole “One Month” thing, I’ve been trying to create more fun moments. Moments like swimming in our socks and sitting in massage chairs.

Moments that are unforgettable.

It’s been a blast.

The other day, my son and I fenced with Star Wars light sabers until we were sweaty. I learned some pretty smooth moves and ended up getting a good workout, too.

And remember when I told you my daughter stood up through the sunroof of our car when we were parked in the parking lot?

Well, I’m proud to say I’ve officially let loose. A couple of weeks ago, I drove home from the mailbox at the end of our court with her standing through the sunroof. Drove. With the car moving. You should’ve seen the smile on her face.

And speaking of smiling, I had a lot of fun doing that at the gym the other day…

As I rode the exercise bike, instead of burying my head in a book like I usually do, I decided I’d smile and say hi to every person who turned the corner. It was fun to see the look of surprise on so many faces, and to get so many smiles back.

And through all of this, I’m learning more and more that having fun each day—having fun in life for that matter—is so much about just making it happen.

That’s something I plan to do a whole lot more of. :)

48 Comments on There is a Moose in Our House

1. Devita
    October 10, 2008 at 7:20 am (9 years ago)

O gosh!! I thought that it was true…lol….that surely be fun!

October 10, 2008 at 8:29 am (9 years ago)

I love that pink fort! Very attractive – what better statement could you make to your friends and neighbors?!

October 10, 2008 at 9:24 am (9 years ago)

Way to go mom! I think the pink fort is a GREAT touch.

4. Joyful
    October 10, 2008 at 11:53 am (9 years ago)

Genny, I’m so enjoying reading of how you are enjoying each moment! You are an encouragement to me to really let go and have fun!!!Have a great weekend! I know you will :o)Blessings,Joy

5. Sandy Toes
    October 10, 2008 at 12:20 pm (9 years ago)

How fun is that! I love your ideas…my kids would love that!It’s amazing how a book can have such impact!-Sandy Toes

6. Elizabeth
    October 10, 2008 at 1:18 pm (9 years ago)

you are always very clever. i love the pink fort. we did this growing up also. :-)a few months ago you posted about a special red plate. i just wanted you to know that we always decorate our kitchen (this is our 4th home in 4 years) in coffee…we are DEAD GONERS for coffee (we roast our own even)…and we have a ‘red mug’ that we are using as your ‘red plate’. it is super cute. i will post about it hopefully soon. :-)

7. care-in
    October 10, 2008 at 2:01 pm (9 years ago)

Way to go! This really encourages me to let loose too!

October 10, 2008 at 3:17 pm (9 years ago)

♥ What fun!!! They're all such great ideas! :)

9. Buzzings of a Queen Bee!
    October 10, 2008 at 3:57 pm (9 years ago)

Genny, I love that you admitted how hard it was initially to leave the pink igloo…we have a front room of our house that I wish would stay nice and pretty for when people come over, but it has looked like a bomb went off in it for the past few weeks and I haven’t done a thing about it. You are so right! We don’t need to be perfect! And I love the driving from the mailbox story…I think I need to learn to let loose a little more too! :)Carrie

10. Cindy
    October 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm (9 years ago)

I am so excited for you.Those of us who ‘don’t like to get our hair wet’ do need to loosen up a bit.I let my granddaughter color my hair like a rainbow last night!!Continue to enjoy!

11. Carol
    October 10, 2008 at 7:09 pm (9 years ago)

I’ve been trying to focus on the same thing. My kids are not going to look back and say “We had the cleanest house growing up.” I want them to say, “My mom was the best, she dressed up as a Jedi and played Star Wars and she let me bake cookies on my tiny baking pans for my dolls.” Great post.

October 10, 2008 at 8:07 pm (9 years ago)

I agree the house doesn’t have to all be matchy and the fort looks fun!

13. Candace
    October 10, 2008 at 8:39 pm (9 years ago)

I’m loving your last month journey!! You are creating such wonderful memories for your children.

14. Kelly
    October 10, 2008 at 8:45 pm (9 years ago)

Letting loose…that’s what it’s all about! Thanks for making me smile!

15. Jess B
    October 10, 2008 at 10:48 pm (9 years ago)

That sounds like SO MUCH FUN! I think I’m going to go read more about this one month thing. Sounds interesting………

16. JanMary
    October 10, 2008 at 10:53 pm (9 years ago)

Great reading all the fun things you are doing.If someone smiled and said “hi” to me at the gym I would probably fall off the treadmill in shock! Not that I am often found on the treadmill :)Have a lovely joy and fun-filled weekend.

17. Indy
    October 10, 2008 at 11:03 pm (9 years ago)

How fun! Great post.

18. Jessica
    October 10, 2008 at 11:06 pm (9 years ago)

Love the pink igloo..We have had an ugly card board box that serves as a car for the boys to push each other around in. Good therapy for us Mommy’s:)

19. Half Gaelic, Half Garlic!
    October 11, 2008 at 12:28 am (9 years ago)

Hi Genny,Thanks for stopping by my blog today!It sounds as though you have a lot of fun in your house….my kids would totally dig the pink fort! I had a big brown one in my family room for a week this summer…it killed me each time I walked by, but the smiles on my kids faces were so worth it!!I love your blog…you have such a zest for life!I will be back to visit!Lisa

20. Becoming Me
    October 11, 2008 at 12:29 am (9 years ago)

This was such a wonderful post…looks like a great game too. I’ve been coming a long way about making things be matchy matchy perfect as you called it. :-) I am homeschooling this year and we live in a 1400 sq ft apartment. We have a dinning room that doubles as a classroom and you know what…my dining room decor is now similar to that of a kindergarten class…know what else? I’m loving it and am gonna take the theme to the next level? Why not?

21. Christy
    October 11, 2008 at 1:32 am (9 years ago)

You are such an encouragement! Your kids are blessed to have you as a mom. I really need to get this book as well as that game. I’ve never seen or heard of it before. I too, have played some rounds of playing light sabers. My son, Ben is standing here with me and says hello to you! Perhaps we should go play a game…

22. Spaceofgrace
    October 11, 2008 at 2:59 am (9 years ago)

Thanks for the reminder. Fun is something we all need to do more often with our kids. They sure are always up for it! “Fun” in my house is a bit more rowdy than a pink tent with 4 “under sevens” around. Noisy, crazy, and yes, wonderful. Thanks again.

23. Momisodes
    October 11, 2008 at 3:47 am (9 years ago)

Sounds like you have been really taking time to live in the moments :) What fun with the sunroof! I’ve done it once, years ago, and it’s quite a thrill :) Wishing you many more moments this weekend!

24. Kirby3131
    October 11, 2008 at 6:24 am (9 years ago)

Bravo!! I’m so very very proud of you. What a great gift you have given to yourself and to your family. Kristin

25. Jessica
    October 11, 2008 at 11:24 am (9 years ago)

So sweet! I know, I’m an ogre in trying to keep my living room neat but when you have three little kids, you just have to take a deep breath and step back. YOu go mommy! Your kids will remember those moments for sure. And you’ll be “cool”. :-)Glad you could smile and say hi to people at the gym. That’s a lot of guts and gives me hives to think about.LOL

26. Mrs. Sidney
    October 11, 2008 at 1:01 pm (9 years ago)

what a great idea!! Fun is something I have been working on everyday!!

27. heather
    October 11, 2008 at 2:52 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks for this post. I’m so glad I poked my head in! You are so inspiring. I need to just let things BE and live it up a little. I really, really do.

28. StephieAnne
    October 11, 2008 at 2:54 pm (9 years ago)

You’ve truly been a source of inspiration – thank you Genny!

October 11, 2008 at 3:15 pm (9 years ago)

ok – yeah for you and the tent – my house only has one main family room and the kids like to take it over with forts they build with blankets and chairs and many other oddities – I usually last about three days – way to go!

30. Randall
    October 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm (9 years ago)

My son and I are big Wii players. It’s fun to just “be a kid” with him. I have also been known to run out and join him on the trampoline. The last two times I attempted flips I did it (yeah) but ended up with road rash on my elbows both times. Oh well, just like when I was a little girl. It’s fun to let go with them. Those are the things that they will look back on.

31. Breanne
    October 11, 2008 at 11:39 pm (9 years ago)

I think that is so great – some of the best moments happen like that. I love the pink fort. I used to play that with my nephew and my arms would always be sore the next day.

32. Veggie Mom
    October 12, 2008 at 2:40 am (9 years ago)

See? You’ve turned a corner, and are now metaphorically sticking your own head up thru the sunroof, too. No more matchy-matchy! You’re liberated. Great!!

33. Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories
    October 12, 2008 at 4:57 am (9 years ago)

Genny, I know I probably say the same thing every time I comment, but that doesn’t make it any less true…you are SUCH an encouragement to me, and the way you are learning to let go and have fun is so inspiring. Makes me realize that it’s ok that my living room doesn’t look like a model home – instead, it looks like a 2 year old lives here. And I’m ok with that.

34. Brenna
    October 12, 2008 at 5:53 am (9 years ago)

Thank you for visiting my blog, Genny! I really like your blog’s look. I’m an editor, and my publishing company is always looking for writers – if you’re interested. :-)

35. Annie
    October 12, 2008 at 10:50 am (9 years ago)

Wow! I followed your comment on my blog to your blog and what a treat I found. I absolutely love what you are talking about over here. Is it too late to join the one month thing?

36. Casey's trio
    October 13, 2008 at 5:11 am (9 years ago)

What a great post…and all the memories that you are creating for yourself and your family. So special!

37. Jan
    October 13, 2008 at 5:05 pm (9 years ago)

Genny,I’m 50 something and I still remember how much fun I had as a kid building forts in the living room with a card table and blankets. And my boys had lots of fun building forts the same way when they were little. Enjoy it while you can, before you know it those days are behind you.The game sounds fun too, I’ll have to check it out!

38. Beck
    October 13, 2008 at 6:23 pm (9 years ago)

A pink fort in your living room makes a better statement than any amount of tasteful home decor, I really, really believe. My living room is currently covered in a huge paper doll project my oldest child is working on.

39. Julie
    October 13, 2008 at 7:19 pm (9 years ago)

Great post, I loved what you shared.I think it’s awesome that you left that pink igloo up.Your kids will remember those fun days…I’ve had a teepee up in my house before. That was fun. The boys loved it.Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet words.It’s nice to meet you.Hugs,Julie

40. Shannon
    October 14, 2008 at 2:13 pm (9 years ago)

I love it! I am going to do this too. THanks for the inspiration!

41. The Dishes Will Wait
    October 15, 2008 at 2:51 am (9 years ago)

And, dining room chairs draped in quilts make great tents too. You are so right, this is what they will remember.

October 15, 2008 at 11:40 pm (9 years ago)

Ahhhhh…….I’ve got to work on this challenge. I got overwhelmed with my move and forgot about it……

43. Trina
    October 16, 2008 at 7:43 pm (9 years ago)

What a great post! I tend to want things just so that I don’t let my kids have enough fun. I need to lighten up some I think :)

44. Tiffany Stuart
    October 30, 2008 at 11:21 pm (9 years ago)

Yes, you’re living this out. Love it.You will never regret investing in your family and fun.

October 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm (8 years ago)

I haven't taken the time to do anything nice and relaxing like this in a long time. Kudo's to you for always making the time to do the important things in life like enjoying your surroundings and cultivating relationships. :)