The Big, Bad, Red Thing in my Kitchen

I sat there at the kitchen table, hunched over my keyboard, finishing an article I was working on. The house was quiet, except for the sound of the ceiling fan, some soft music, and water trickling in the fountain on my counter.

A few minutes into my writing, I heard a noise…

Clink. Clink.

I stopped and looked around, but didn’t see anything.

Thinking the sound must’ve been part of the music, I shrugged and went back to writing.

But then I heard it again…

Clink. Clink.

I paused and listened harder.

Was the fridge making noise?

Was it my kids’ mice?

I got up and checked their cage, but the mice were sound asleep.

I sat back down to type.

And heard it again…

Clink.

I have to admit, at that point, I got a little creeped-out.

Slowly, I got up and checked to make sure the front door was locked. Then I went back into the kitchen and began walking around, determined to get to the bottom of things.

And that’s when I saw it….

the big,

bad

red balloon with a shoehorn tied to the bottom of it.
red balloon on floor by table
Don’t ask what.

Or why.

Because I don’t know.

All I know is that it was another one of my son’s inventions, and the ceiling fan was blowing the balloon around on the tile, dragging the shoehorn with it.

Thus, the clinking noise.

I’m sure my son had a good reason for tying the shoehorn to the balloon.

Just like I’m sure he had a good reason for the tornado in the salad spinner. And the soap on the shower wall. And all the other creative things he comes up with.

And I should be thankful that he does.

Because life just wouldn’t be as fun without tarantulas hanging from my steering wheel. Or red balloons scooting around my kitchen. :)

42 Comments on The Big, Bad, Red Thing in my Kitchen

1. Heather @ Not a DIY Life
    September 9, 2008 at 10:40 am (9 years ago)

I would have been creeped out too! Checking all the doors and the closets.I love the imagination of kids! They just amaze me!

2. Keeper of the Skies Wife
    September 9, 2008 at 11:18 am (9 years ago)

Thats too funny. I would have been totally creeping also. Ah, little boys and their minds a spinning…always wondering whtat they can make next.

3. Christy
    September 9, 2008 at 1:00 pm (9 years ago)

I just read your post with the spider. Very funny! I’ve wanted to get a little rubber snake and play a little joke on my kids. That’s not mean is it?

4. Becky
    September 9, 2008 at 1:10 pm (9 years ago)

Such a boy thing!!! It is crazy the things mine will do too!!! HA!!!

5. Cindy
    September 9, 2008 at 2:38 pm (9 years ago)

Life sure is fun when there are children in the house. You should see some of the creative ideas my youngest son still comes up with. Maybe someday I’ll have to post a few of them.Have a great day.

6. Kirby3131
    September 9, 2008 at 4:58 pm (9 years ago)

Those little noises. They are obviously unexpected, but sometimes so hard to find. My mother and I heard a crash one day and it took us a few hours to finally find what fell. Still don’t know how it fell.Funny – I don’t think I’ve ever owned a shoe horn lol

7. Breanne
    September 9, 2008 at 5:29 pm (9 years ago)

Oh – so funny. How fun must your son be!

8. Kim
    September 9, 2008 at 6:26 pm (9 years ago)

Too funny!My daughter decided to "hide" two balloons that were losing air (like she hides Easter eggs). One she placed on top of the light over the kitchen table. I made a mental note to remove it before we turned the light on, and then went about the business of tucking my kiddos in bed. A little while later, I was typing at the kitchen desk & I heard what sounded like gunfire right behind my back! I was as scared as could be. Finally got the courage to turn around and realized the balloon had got me! With the heat of the light ~ it exploded. :)

9. Jaysi
    September 9, 2008 at 7:21 pm (9 years ago)

That is funny. I give him points for his creativity.

September 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm (9 years ago)

Hilarious……so nice of him to leave his mark while you are home alone, too! :)

11. Wendi
    September 9, 2008 at 11:53 pm (9 years ago)

*Smiles* Don’t kids add so much to life?? Even if it is the creeps…Great story!

12. Veggie Mom
    September 10, 2008 at 12:40 am (9 years ago)

Oh, gosh–I’ll bet you were relieved! We have mice of the uncaged variety, which have invaded our house. We’ve see 3 in the past 10 days. Talk about All. Creeped. Out!

13. Mrs. Sidney
    September 10, 2008 at 1:31 am (9 years ago)

I have given you something on my blog!!

September 10, 2008 at 2:32 am (9 years ago)

♥ That's funny! That reminds me of my sister and the crazy phone. She kept hearing something or someone saying hello in a weird way in the middle of the night. WHen she finally found what it was it ended up being a plya phone with almost dead batteries. She was a little freaked out by the time she found it! :)

15. Sandy C.
    September 10, 2008 at 3:51 am (9 years ago)

Haha! He really is quite a clever fellow :) I love the things he comes up with!

16. Jessica
    September 10, 2008 at 4:11 am (9 years ago)

That is so funny! I love funny inventions.

17. An Ordinary Mom
    September 10, 2008 at 4:23 am (9 years ago)

Most shoehorns have a little hole in them, so I have always thought they made good weights for balloons :) !! Shoe stores have also picked up on this idea. So cute!

18. Mandy
    September 10, 2008 at 6:17 pm (9 years ago)

That is funny! I have a fear of helium balloons because one night I was getting ready for bed and all the lights were out and I saw what looked like a head a little shorter than me and I thought itwas my son so I start talking to him and there was not any response so I started to panic and reach for the light with trembling hands just to see one of the kids helium balloons floating in mid-air. It has freaked me out enough I don’t allow the balloons at my house after dark. Crazy huh!

September 10, 2008 at 7:01 pm (9 years ago)

That is funny, my son does funny stuff like that. Last week I found a matchbox car in the fridge.

20. Good N Crazy
    September 10, 2008 at 7:02 pm (9 years ago)

I can’t even click on the tarantula post…sorry.But the big bad balloon…how funny. I’m grateful for curious little boys too!good luck on your new gig?! may it be a paid one!

21. Nina
    September 10, 2008 at 8:21 pm (9 years ago)

That is too funny… I would have been sneaking around the house all nervous unti I foubd the culprit.I know my son is always doing crazy things and I often ask, why?

22. Annie
    September 10, 2008 at 9:59 pm (9 years ago)

What a fun littl eproject I’m sure it was for him! I would have had to scour the place for the noise myself!

23. Carol
    September 11, 2008 at 12:16 am (9 years ago)

Too funny! That sounds like my son, as well. Thanks for you comment at Faith Lifts! :) Carol

24. StephieAnne
    September 11, 2008 at 1:31 am (9 years ago)

We had a click thing like that going on too – it turned out to be a sign hanging on our porch banging with the wind…. but, it really bugs you until you can figure it out. Such imagination!

25. Tiffany Stuart
    September 11, 2008 at 2:28 am (9 years ago)

Too funny. Sounds like an inventor–your son.Sweet post!

26. tollesons4him
    September 11, 2008 at 3:24 am (9 years ago)

Isn’t it funny what children will invent? I love it! I would have been a little creeped out too.

September 11, 2008 at 5:39 am (9 years ago)

That is so funny! Kids come up with the best stuff. My son loves to invent stuff, too.And I would have stopped what I was doing, too until I found out the source of the noise.

September 11, 2008 at 9:07 am (9 years ago)

ROFL! The last noise like that I heard turned out to be my laptop ticking. Yours is much more fun.

September 11, 2008 at 4:25 pm (9 years ago)

It’s nice to have someone to blame for all the random wierd things that happen around the house, rather than wonder who the intruder is . . . Sounds like a great kid!

30. Mandy
    September 11, 2008 at 7:21 pm (9 years ago)

I have an award just waiting for you… :-)

31. Laura@Storytellin' Mama
    September 11, 2008 at 8:18 pm (9 years ago)

Kids are so goofy… I can relate to these experiments and I enjoyed reading the past posts!!Your son has such a fun loving spirit- a great quality!!

September 12, 2008 at 4:20 am (9 years ago)

If my kids get a hold of a helium balloon they are always trying to find an item that is the perfect weight so the balloon will float suspended in the middle of the room. It is a quest of theirs, so I can relate.Cute post

33. Jamie @ Purposeful Pursuit
    September 12, 2008 at 5:06 am (9 years ago)

Cute post! I’m sure I would have been a little creeped out myself. What a creative little guy you have.

34. monica
    September 12, 2008 at 5:30 am (9 years ago)

I was very glad to hear that it was only a balloon. With that constant distraction, it could have been an unwelcome creature in your house! My son is very creative also. His mind never stops working. We don’t watch much tv at all. We really don’t need to.

35. Munchkins and Music
    September 12, 2008 at 3:50 pm (9 years ago)

This made me laugh! Kids inventions are great aren’t they?

36. Indy
    September 12, 2008 at 11:01 pm (9 years ago)

I often wonder when the kids have moved out and I am in my house alone if I will still hear noises and think they are from my children. I am sure we will miss finding the strange creations of our children.

37. Indy
    September 13, 2008 at 2:10 am (9 years ago)

Thanks for asking about my friend. She is on her third round of chemo and so far so good. She is a fighter. She is in a clinical trial so hopefully that will help her battle. Thanks for asking!

38. Kathy S.
    September 13, 2008 at 5:48 am (9 years ago)

boys bring such adventure to our lives. Thanks for sharing your humorous experiences!

39. Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart
    September 13, 2008 at 9:52 pm (9 years ago)

Funny. But, I must admit. I’m not sure they ever do have a really good reason. Of course, my son is only two. But, still…

40. Veggie Mom
    September 14, 2008 at 8:59 pm (9 years ago)

BTW, I’m hosting a Recipe Week on my blog, starting tomorrow. Please stop by and see what’s cookin’!

41. nikkicrumpet
    September 16, 2008 at 8:30 pm (9 years ago)

I was getting a creepy feeling just hearing your story. I hate being in an empty house. But I’m pretty sure the balloon was harmless…although I am confused about why it would need shoes..and thus a shoe horn?

42. Mama C
    September 18, 2008 at 10:56 pm (9 years ago)

That is too cute. I find my boy also likes to tie things together. He rigged up a string to his wall light switch so he could “turn off the light without getting out of bed”. Gotta love those little future inventors.